Monday, July 8, 2013

Individual Worth Value Experience 2 - Patriarchal Blessings

Well today I have started my Personal Progress. There are eight values. They are: Faith, Divine Nature, Individual Worth, Knowledge, Choice and Accountability, Good Works, Integrity, and Virtue. I am starting on Individual Worth.
My first day in Young Womens...My personal progress books...and my new YW torch necklace.

In Personal Progress there are required value experiences and after you finish six of those you do a value project. The value experience I am doing right now is to learn the importance of patriarchal blessings (Individual Worth value experience #2).

Patriarchal blessings are given because they
"declare your lineage in the house of Israel and contains personal counsel from the Lord to you." - True to Faith page 111
This means you will receive counsel or direction from the Lord to you personally and will tell you which tribe of Israel you are in.

You receive your patriarchal blessing from an ordained patriarch in your stake.

President Thomas S. Monson refers to our patriarchal blessings as
"A Liahona of light." - see his conference talk here
Your bishop and parents will help you decide when the right time comes to receive a patriarchal blessing.

Sister Julie B. Beck said:
"When you understand the meaning and purpose of a patriarchal blessing and have a sincere desire to do the work of the Lord, you should be mature enough to receive your blessing….. It is important to fast and pray before your blessing so your spirit is humble and teachable. Your personal preparation is very important." - Julie B. Beck

I haven't received my patriarchal blessing , but I will prepare for when I receive one. Have you received your patriarchal blessing? When did you receive it? How has it been a blessing in your life?

See you!

Oh...and don't forget about our give-away!

2 comments:

  1. Hi T! Love your blog! I got my patriarchal blessing when I was 22. This is when I was getting ready to serve a mission. I remember wanting to try and listen to everything the patriarch was saying, but I couldn't. I was overcome with the Spirit, because I knew then that Heavenly Father knew me. Not just He knew my name or odd facts about me, but that He truly KNEW me, and not only that but He loved me! Thank goodness they record the blessing and mail you the typed up account! I have found that my blessing has not just helped me to feel loved by my Heavenly Father, but that it has also given me peace during times where I have not been sure were life was taking me. I know that you will have your own special experiences with your patriarchal blessing and I look forward to hearing about them! Love you! ~ Chandra

    ReplyDelete