Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Talents (Knowledge Value Experience 2)

Today, I'm beginning to work on knowledge experience 2:
"In your journal list talents you have and others you would like to develop. Read Matthew 25:14–30. Learn a new skill or talent that will help you care for your own future family or home (for example, playing the piano, singing, budgeting, time management, cooking, sewing, or child care). Share with your family, class, or Young Women leader what you have learned.


I really like this value experience. First of all, when do we really take time to think about our talents: ones that we want and ones that we would like to develop? I mean, maybe we think about this a lot when we're younger and in school, but when you're a grown adult? A mother? I don't know about you, but sometimes I feel like an old dog that can't learn new tricks.

But here I am, a mother of a young woman, in my mid-thirties, thinking of my talents and ones that I'd like to develop.

I know that I have been blessed with many gifts and talents. I won't go into it here, but if you're a mom, and you're reading this, take the time to recognize your talents. It's funny because it seems kind of prideful to recognize our talents. Yet, in our unwillingness to be open about our talents, aren't we more like the man who received one talent then buried it? I don't mean to say that we need to be annoying and shout out our talents. But we should be okay with admitting that we are good at things; that we are talented. Maybe this gives you an insight as to what kind of woman I tend to be. For example, I know that I'm a creative person, but sometimes I feel quite slow to talk about it or admit it because I feel like when I compare myself with others, I don't seem all that talented. AHHH! What a bad habit! So...I see two problems here. 1)I need to be willing to admit the talents I have. 2) I need to stop comparing myself to others.

Now, since I'm a mom, this goal obviously can be stated differently: I need to learn a new skill or talent that will help me care for my CURRENT family/home. Right now! As I think of the talent that I'd like to develop, I know that this will sound strange, but I want to develop the talent of visualization.

Another way to put it is to develop an eye of faith.

I have been learning a lot about self-image and visualization, and I can see that many of the challenges I'm facing in my life right now are completely in my control: I simply need to learn how to change my self image and visualize the success I desire. This is a concept that is also taught in the scriptures. So...I would like to develop an eye of faith, or my ability to visualize.

I will update you on how this goes a little later. For now, I'm working on a few techniques that I'm hoping will help me to develop this talent.

- Choco *** Have you completed Knowledge Value Experience 2? Are you working on it? Please share your experience. You can comment here, or send us an email at chococatania [at] gmail [dot] com, with you're experience, and we'll feature it here on our blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment